My mom started making this kind of spaghetti when she married my step-father. At first, it was a shock because it wasn't loaded down with tomato paste, but it grew on us so much so that I LOVE this recipe. I won't make spaghetti any other way. It has its extra bonuses, too. Vegetables get thrown in for added health...the kids will never know. It turns out to be a filling, healthy, vegetable spaghetti.
Serve it with the breadstick recipe I have. Super, super delicious breadsticks are always enjoyed with this spaghetti or your favorite lasagna.
- 2 lbs beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of eggplant, finely chopped (or a combination of mushrooms, carrots, squash-any vegetable of your choice)
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, STRAINED and then processed in food processor
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato paste-Italian seasoning flavored (or you could add your own herbs)
- 1/8 cup sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the meat with the onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Strain the grease off if there is any.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low/simmer.
- Cook on low/simmer for 3 to 4 hours. The longer it cooks, the better.