Someone recently commented they wished life had a do over button. I'm sure we all do at times. The "I wish I had only..." or the "What if I..." thoughts circle endlessly in our minds.
- I wish I had studied harder in school.
- I wish I had gone to the college I wanted to go to rather than follow a boy somewhere I hated.
- What if I had said "yes" instead of "no" to that guy I crushed on for way too many years when he asked me out?
- What if I had a "real" career?
- I wish...
- What if...
We have to stop looking behind us and instead focus our energy on the present and future. We can't change the past. This is not the movies. This is reality. We could be missing out on something precious that is right in front of us all the while we are off dreaming of what might have been. Instead of holding on to something I can't do anything about, I'm going to hold on to what I can do something about...my life HERE as it is NOW.
- If I had studied harder in school, I would have had the confidence in my grades to apply to the college I wanted to attend. By the way, my grades weren't bad, I was in the top third of my class...well, until I took some college classes in high school and failed one of them because I slept everyday.
- Had I not followed that boyfriend of mine to the college I ended up attending, I may not have met the guy who is now my husband.
- If I had gone out with my crush, I may have ruined the chance of marrying the man who is now my husband.
- If I had a "real" career as I had always dreamed, I would miss out on all the fun experiences of being a Stay-at-Home Mom. I wouldn't see the light go on inside of my children when they learn something new. Someone else would be there during the day to see them grow and learn, kiss their boo boos, or give them hugs.