- 1 lb of penne or rotini pasta
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1 small jar (14 oz = 1 3/4 cup) of spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14 oz) stewed tomatoes, blended in a blender or food processor
- 1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded (tastes better if you grate a block rather than buy a bag)
- Cook the pasta. While it is cooking, go ahead and shred the cheese.
- Strain the pasta.
- Pour the pasta into a LARGE bowl and mix with the ricotta.
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta (saves on dishes), gently cook the next 10 ingredients. This just blends the flavors. Cook med-high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over ricotta/pasta mixture and mix well.
- Put mixture in a 11X13 dish. *It needs to be at least this big or slightly bigger!
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil ---I always put toothpicks in the pasta (sticking up where visible) to keep the aluminum foil from touching the cheese. No one wants to scrape cheese off of the foil cover.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and Broil for 4 minutes.
*Note: For something extra special, toss in some pepperoni and call it a pizza pasta. LOL
**Note: You could eliminate the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and spices for a very large jar of spaghetti sauce, but it won't be as delicious.