For a party, I was asked if I would make Trishia Yearwood's Key Lime Cake into cupcakes. I made some alterations to her recipe and thought they were a hit! The alterations are listed below in the recipe (mainly the glaze and slightly with the icing), but you are able to search the net for the original recipe for her Key Lime Cake that was featured in her "Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood."
Cupcakes (makes 36)
- 3 ounce box of lime gelatin
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup oil (IMHO I think that is too much though I still use it--I might try only 3/4 cup next time)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (best way to obtain this is to squeeze over a mini-strainer to avoid seeds)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Either grease and flour muffin tins or line with cupcake liners.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bake 15 minutes. (For sheet cake, 35-40 min.; For 3 round 9inch pans, 20-30 min.)
- Pour glaze over cupcakes immediately after removing from oven. Glaze recipe is below.
Ingredients (This is where Trisha and I definitely differ)
- 1/2 cup lime juice (zest first and then put through a good juicer)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- I zested each of the limes (3) and saved the zest for sprinkling over the iced cupcakes.
- Put the 3 limes into a good quality juicer to get as much juice from it as possible. It should equal 1/2 cup.
- Mix the lime juice with 2 cups of powdered sugar to make a glaze.
- WHILE THE CUPCAKES ARE STILL HOT, pour a little bit of glaze on top to allow it to soak down into the cake.
- Be careful to reserve between 1/4-1/2 cups of glaze to add to icing.
Ingredients (here I add some lime glaze for a slight bite to mellow the sweetness)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter at room temp
- 8 oz box of cream cheese at room temp
- 1 pound (16 ounces) of powdered sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup of the reserved lime glaze
- Cream butter and cream cheese until well blended.
- Slowly add powdered sugar and lime glaze until well mixed.
- Pipe the icing on top of cupcake and sprinkle lime zest on top for added decoration.