A southern home cooked meal doesn't seem complete unless it has corn muffins or biscuits. My family loves biscuits.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add shortening and buttermilk, using a pastry blender to mix them all together. The trick is to do it at the same time rather than shortening first. This creates a fluffier biscuit.
- Once the milk and shortening have been incorporated into the flour, scrape dough out onto a floured surface. Do not knead.
- Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with a biscuit cutter.
- Place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 min or until golden on top.