This is a healthy and filling soup. A friend of mine gave me the recipe. I loved it. It is so versatile, I change it once in a while to suit my tastes (you are welcome to do the same), but this is by far my favorite version. Best news is you can put it in the crock-pot and let it cook while you are at work. Who doesn't like coming home to a meal already prepared?
|Missing black beans in the photo|
- 2 cups of mixed beans (your choice of beans to total 2 cups--I like kidney, black-eye-pea, navy, red, and black), SOAK overnight prior to making soup.
- 8 cups water
- 4 chicken or beef bouillon cubes (I prefer chicken)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 whole hot peppers *optional but I love them!
- sprinkle of spices such as turmeric, garlic, and paprika
- splash of red wine vinegar *optional
- 3 celery stalks finely chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- potatoes (I don't measure--I just put how many I think I want) chopped with or without skin
- You can do this all at one time if you will be absent throughout the day, but I break it up into two parts.
- I put the soaked, drained beans, water, bouillon cubes, bay leaves, peppers, and seasoning in the crock-pot, and heat on high. I usually start this in the morning around eight or nine o'clock.
- At noon I add the rest of the ingredients to the crock-pot.
- By evening, the meal is ready. Serve with sweet cornbread muffins (recipe below). Enjoy!
|My children love helping!|
I love serving cornbread with soups, stews, and gumbo. Or how about any time I serve biscuits, cornbread follows? :) The only thing is...I'm not a fan of dry, plain cornbread. I like mine sweet! If you like yours sweet too, try this with your next meal.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening, melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray or grease muffin tin.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Stir in wet ingredients but do NOT over mix.
- Spoon into muffin tins 1/2-3/4 full.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden-brown on top.