In all honesty, I don't buy store bread loaves anymore. I just can't. After making such tasty and beautiful bread that my family loves, how could I?
Most are afraid of even trying to make bread. Don't be so hesitant to try making this one. You won't regret this thanks to the easy-to-follow recipe from my favorite Amish and Mennonite cookbook by Good and Pellman. While the recipe is below->click the pic to buy the book for more scrumptious recipes.
- 1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 Tbsp melted shortening
- 6-7 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- In large bowl combine sugar, salt, water, and shortening.
- Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Gradually add flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise about 2 hours.
- Punch dough down and turn back out onto the floured surface.
- Divide into 2 portions and form loaf shapes. (I usually knead each half before forming loaf shapes)
- Place in greased bread pans.
- Let rise until higher than pans...about 2 hours.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.
- After bread has cooled for 10 minutes, remove bread from pans and allow to cool further on a wire rack.