Monday, August 22, 2011

Whole Wheat Tortillas



I love Mexican food, but authentic is as far a thought in the local Mexican restaurants as Mexico is from my house.  In other words, Mexico is too far away to satiate my cravings, and I'm tired of being served packaged grocery store style tortillas in the restaurants.  I decided last year I would bring Mexico to my own kitchen.  Forget going out!  I'm having the kids set our own table tonight.   

      Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1-2 cups all-purpose flour
  1. In the same bowl, put shortening, oil, and salt. 
  2. Slowly pour boiling water over the shortening.  Stir until almost all of the shortening has melted.
  3. Add wheat flour and stir. 
  4. Stir in the all-purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough starts pulling from the sides of the bowl.
  5. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead about 8-10 times.
  6. Divide dough like a pizza, cutting it into 10 or 12 sections.
  7. Shape each section into a ball and set aside to rest and cool down for about an hour.
  8. Roll each ball into a circle
  9. Cook on a hot griddle for about 30 sec on each side.
  10. Turn it into a quesadilla, burrito, or soft shell taco.
  11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment